Beauty > beautiful hair > Hiar color
Tips of hair color and removal
Hair color tips
* Highlighting is a great way to add tone to monochromatic hair (jet black, pure brown).
* Beware of hair colors that have green, blue, or purple undertones, like “ash”. If you mix them with warm tones, your hair color will turn out green.
* The levels (one to twelve) you see on hair coloring boxes are the lightness or darkness of the color. Level one is black (darkest) and level twelve is light blond.
* “Complimentary colors” are opposite each other on the color wheel. Blue-orange, violet-yellow, etc. If you want to neutralize unwanted highlights, choose the complementary color. For instance, red will cancel out an ash undertone, and an ashen color neutralizes any red highlights in your hair.
* Be sure to check if your hair color is a “progressive dye”. Progressive dyes continually add more color with each use. For instance, if you’re coloring blond hair black, your first use of a progressive hair color may not give the result you expected. However, continued use will turn your hair jet black.
* Hair colors, like perms, are chemically based. If you’re pregnant, be sure to check with your doctor before coloring your hair.
* Henna hair dyes are organic based hair colors that don’t mix well with chemicals.
* Stay out of the pool and the ocean after coloring your hair. Neither sea salt nor chlorine mixes well with chemical hair colors.
Tips for successful hair color removal
* Always strand test before you try any hair color removal
* Deep conditioning with a low pH conditioner after hair color removal helps protect your hair as well as return it to natural softness and shine.
* Remember to protect your clothing from hair color removal products. Even tomato juice can leave a nasty stain.
* Precisely follow the directions on all hair color removal products.
* Do not use hair color removal products on henna. Henna is unpredictable and can leave you with unusual results.
* Keep hair color removal products away from your eyes. Don’t ever use them on lashes or brows.
* Don’t use bleach for hair color removal. Bleach helps artificial colors penetrate deeper into the hair shaft and weakens the hair shaft, causing even more damage.